Friday, June 20, 2008

Busted en route to work

I decided to try out a new route to work that didn’t have me dodging the traffic on Central during morning rush hour. It was pretty slick not faster but not slower either.

The only slowdown was crossing a stoplight when crossing University. I stopped and waited for the traffic to clear which took a couple minutes and then…..nothing. There were 2 cars on the other side of the light but despite the serious lack of traffic the light was not changing. It must have been timed for a busier rush hour than today, so I gave up and went through the intersection.

That is when I was busted. The passenger in the first waiting car yelled out at me about going through the red light.

I have to say my first reaction was anger – “I hope you never speed, roll through stop signs, or turn right at a no turn on red”

I quickly felt embarrassed though because I was in the wrong and despite the fact that no one was cut off or slowed down or anything, this person now had an additional reason to get angry about bikes on the road.

Just plain stupid.

--

Much later I got to thinking about being yelled at.

Why is it that it is “acceptable” to yell at bikers from your car? Would these same people honk their horns if they saw someone breaking some law in their cars (except driving the wrong way on a one way)?

I kind of doubt it, so is it some sort power trip that the cars bring out or is it something else?

1 comment:

  1. is it some sort power trip that the cars bring out

    Drivers start out with a feeling of power when they pull out of their driveway. Sitting in traffic, stuck behind slow drivers (or cyclists), sitting at lights takes away their feeling of power leaving them frustrated and helpless. Unable to lash out verbally at other drivers they direct their anger and frustration at cyclists.

    It's too bad, if they got out of their car and onto a bike more often they probably would not start out feeling so powerful and then so weak and frustrated.

    ReplyDelete