Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Top Tunes 2007

Well it is about that time when everyone starts to reflect on the past year. And so it is here at Buried Pleasure that I am giving you my picks of the top albums and songs of 2007.

Top Albums

Burial – Untrue
Just when you thought his first album was a fluke Burial drops a sophomore release that blows the first away. Not necessarily built for the dance floor, but amazing.

Radiohead – In Rainbows
It's strange to hear of their return to form since I loved Hail to the Thief, but yet another amazing album from a band that can do no wrong.

J Tillman – Cancer & Delirium
Heartbreaking and beautiful, this album is hard to find but well worth the effort

Arbouretum – Rites of Uncovering
Not as hard to find as J Tillman, but fairly overlooked and a real hidden nugget of gold. It just transports you to another place. Amazing

Okkervil River – Stage Names
Though not as strong as Black Sheep Boy, it is another strong outing that showcases the talent of Will Scheff

Apparat – Walls
Incredible electronic release that reminds me of so many people at the same time-most of them from the "traditional" music world-yet is completely it's own sound.

White Stripes - Icky Thump
An awesome return to form for the White Stripes. Apparently all Jack White needed was some space from this format to reinvigorate himself.

Great Northern - Trading Twilight for Daylight
There is a part of me that feels like I should have something against this album because it is so slick and polished sounding, but it blows me away every time so I just don't care.

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Daft Punk live with the concert experience of the last 2 years. 'nuff said.

Feist - The Reminder
Yes, you may be sick of 1234 from all the commercials but this entire album is full of great songwriting and performances.


Top Songs

Radiohead – Reckoner
From the first moment, I was hooked. This has become one of my favorite Radiohead tracks of all time

Burial – Archangel
alienating, heartbreaking, and captivating. takes the sound he hinted at in Unite from the Box of Dub compilation to another level altogether

J Tillman - When I Light Your Darkened Door
I could say the same about this as with Archangel. Feels like the other side of the same coin. This is desert island music to me.

Arbouretum - Pale Rider Blues
Post-apocalyptic folk/blues. This song grabs me and transports me somewhere else until it's done

Great Northern – Home
slick production that works for one of my favorite songs of the year, that I returned to again and again

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
I Know, I know, but it is a good song that sticks in your head and won't get out

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I Came to Hear the Music
The first song from this prolific songwriter that grabbed me and just wouldn't let go.

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
I may not buy into all the hype surrounding this album, though it is growing on me with each listen, but this song deserves all the praise it can get.

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Little Monsters
From an album that just missed my top picks. This song takes the Air production and adds something to it to make it her own. Not as catchy as The Operation, but this will keep popping up on mixes I make for a long time to come

Dizzee Rascal - Sirens
Easily the top pick from the criminally overlooked third release from this MC. Great production, Great spittin' and an awesome video to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment