Friday, May 15, 2009

My Thursday Commute - frustrated edition


Even though I thought that today was bike to work day, it appears that Minneapolis had lots going on yesterday.  I’m not sure who has the extra time on their commute to stop for donuts or whatever they were giving away but whatever works for you.  The other interesting thing I find is that all these extra people can take the time to commute that one day of the year, but somehow can’t get around to it the rest of the year?

Aside from that, I had some car-bike ‘interactions’ that lead to a very frustrating commute.

It started when I was leaving the bike locker at work and a car turned right on a red that was posted no turn on red and almost clipped me coming off the curb

Only a block later, I was waiting to turn left at a light and it turned yellow so I started to go through. Only problem was that a car that was over half a block away decided to gun it and go through the light almost taking me out in the process.

Then it was on the death wish that is the Henn Ave bike lane where not only did I have a car almost left hook me by the light rail but a motorcycle almost left hooked me at 3rd St too.

If all that wasn’t enough, I ran into one of my biggest pet peeves on University—a car using the bike lane as a right turn lane and completely blocking my way.  As I tried to work my way behind that car another car almost pulled into me trying to do the same thing.

Needless to say I was a little pissed off at this point.

I really try to do my best to follow all the rules of the road. I stop at stop signs on major roads, I stop at stoplights, I signal turns when it is safe to take my hands off the bars, etc.  But if cars are going to be this clueless, then is it any wonder that many bike riders are going to be aggressive and make their own rules?

No comments:

Post a Comment