Tuesday, November 21, 2006

everything's retro

You know I figured that I had a little more time to go before my life became retro. I mean shouldn't things be at least like twenty years old before they come back?

Is there a reason that we feel the need to recycle ideas so quickly and is it really a bad idea? You have to figure that there are only so many music notes that can be played so eventually we are going to run out of ideas.

The only reason I bring this up is that it's been on my mind since I picked up the debut from Working For A Nuclear Free City. I may be lucky as I didn't really hear much of the hype until I picked up their album and did a little research, though I will say I was turned onto them by the Pitchfork infinite mixtape.

My initial research had lots of references to the Madchester days of the early techno scene in England. Just do a search and references to classics such as Screamadelica and Pills, Thrills, and Bellyaches abound and I will say there is some merit to those. However I think there is just as much connection to the Stone Roses, Charlatans, and even Ride. It's hard to hear Quiet Place without thinking of Vapour Trail. But the electronic sound is there in songs like Troubled Son, Dead Fingers Talking and Innocence.

I really like this album, but if there is a flaw it is that is almost too far reaching. To go from chemical brothers/Fluke style electronica to Madchester/Shoegaze and back again is a difficult tightrope to walk while making an album sound cohesive.

Check out their my space page if you want to download the Rocket EP. Based on the two new songs on this it sounds like as they have gone from a studio project to a live band their sound has changed to more of the madchester sound from the electronic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment