Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Lily Allen and Jesus Jones

Picked up the Lily Allen CD on new music Tuesday at Target since it was on sale pretty cheap. I figured that I like "Smile" and she's gotten a lot of good press from the sources that I trust so I figured what the hell.

Big mistake!!

I have tried and tried but I do not like this album and would not recommend it. The best adjective I can come up with is trite, though maybe amateurish is better. The music is ok, mediocre but ok, but her lyrics and singing are just childish.

Is it just me or does Take What You Take sound like Jesus Jones-era Brit-pop. I just have a whole raft of bands that go through my mind when I here it like Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine or EMF.

And "Friday Night" sounds like and attempt to record a "modern" two-tone song. though I will admit the are somewhat successful with this at least. As a matter of fact the two-tone sounding numbers (like "Smile") are probably the most successful but the others should be avoided .

Don't even get me started on "Littlest Things." I don't even know what they were going for with that song but I would not be upset if all traces of that song were erased from the earth.

I just do not get all the glowing praise that is heaped upon her. To me the album sounds like someone got the idea that rough poorly produced songs equal indie cred or something.

I think I am going to try and dig up some old candyskins now.

No comments:

Post a Comment