Monday, May 14, 2007

issue #2475 why the music industry is failing

So L really likes Rufus Wainwright and with his album coming out tomorrow I have been on the look out for any songs to download or stream for her to hear some of it and last week I found out that VH1 has/had the whole thing available to stream.

Perfect I thought, but that was before we tried to listen.

Try as we might it didn't want to work on the Mac so this weekend I gave it a try on the PC and low and behold it worked. It seemed to only be available to stream via media player, but here is where my complaint comes.

TO play it I had to download an "Upgrade."

Well what was the fabulous "upgrade"?

**DRM**

Yes that's right. To be able to listen to an album that is being streamed for free they want you to download digital rights. What a crock of shit. This is being offered online for two reasons. to get existing fans excited and to entice new fans to give it a try.

There is just no reason for this and I think it is yet another example of the problems in the music industry. They just don't seem to be able to update their business models to account for the new technology that is a fact of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment