Thursday, March 15, 2007

Steppin' Out

I 'm a little behind on these as I got all of them a few weeks ago, but whatever. Better late than never right. And after all I had the flu and the ToC was going on too. In the end, I have no good reason for being such a lazyass.

I've been pretty upfront about my feelings about Various Productions. They are oneof my fav groups of the moment and they just released a new song via Boomkat that is only available digitally until march 22nd. For those who only know their album "Luv U' may come as a bit of a shock, but it is classic Various Productions if you go back to some of the vinyl only tunes out there. The beat is more jungle than dubstep and it contains a brilliant vocal by Same Brain Ents who I know nothing about but expect to hear more from soon.

It's not new but I picked up the Mary Anne Hobz "Warrior Dubz" CD a month ago now and it has barely left my CD player and has been in frequent rotation in my Ipod. FOr those that don't know Mary Anne Hobbs, she is a DJ and hosts a show on Radio 1 in the UK that was formerly know as the Breezeblock and is now known bu the ungainly Mary Anne Hobbs: BBC Radio 1's Experimental Show. She plays an eclectic mix of Jungle, Grime, Dubstep, Techno, Leftfield, and a number of other styles. For this unmixed collection she has grabbed a number of killer tunes that may be exclusives, but don't quote me on that.

The tunes span the spectrum from jungle to techno with a focus on dubstep and grime inbetween. The highlights that have fast become tunes that I cannot live without would have to be the upbeat (for him) but still killer darkness of "Versus" by Burial, the hyped up dark grime that is Plastician's "Cha Vocal," and the insane jungle of Spor's "Hydra"

Don't think for a second though that there are any sleepers on this with tunes by Digital Mystikz, Terror Danjah, The Bug, Loefah, and many more. If you are at all interested in this sound you need this CD yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment