Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Flood of Memories

Wow!! Someone posted a video of the live performance by Daft Punk at Even Further '96.

This was Daft Punk's first appearance of any kind in the US and I was in the audience, so this brought back a ton of memories.

At this point in my life I was barely making ends meet, while trying to kick start a DJ career that was stalled. I was friends with a lot of promoters and had even thrown a couple raves, but I was never very good at the schmoozing so I never seemed to be able to make it happen. I as in this weird on again off again relationship with someone who is now my best friend (she was even my best "man" in my wedding) but at this point was just messing with my head.

Enter Even Further '96.

I had missed the inaugural Further in '94, but had been there for the torrential downpour that was Even Further the next year, so there was no way I was missing the '96 addition. I had a bunch of friends coming into town to play and these Daft Punk guys were going to be there. At this point I had only heard the Da Funk/Rollin and Scratching single so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Friday kicked off with some incredible set from my boys Speedy and Hugge and the next day I got a chance to throw down at a couple of mini soundsystems so that was cool. Saturday night however was THE NIGHT. Daft Punk were incredible and then I took a break during Frankie Bones to get some air and made it back in time to hear Scott Hardkiss play one of the most amazing sets I have ever heard him play.

All in all a fab weekend. Great music, way too many people, illicit substances causing someone to jump all over the top of my friends RV, good times all around.

Needless to say all of this and so much more came flooding back upon watching the tinny-sounding, grainy video of Daft Punk's performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment