Sunday, April 08, 2007

Last week on the bike

Well since the weather is seriously not cooperating, I did not get out on the road this week at all and instead put in all my miles on the stationary bike which totally sucks. I am hoping this will change next week as it looks like the temps will be creeping into the 40s by Thursday, but I don't want to count on anything yet.

On a different note, I had been thinking about getting a cheap bike frame from a garage sale this summer and turning it into a fixed-gear to teach myself about the mechanics of bikes so imagine my surprise when I looked out the window the other day and my neighbor had left a bike out by the trash.

I figured what the hell and went to grab it and noticed it was already set up as a fixed-gear, only with a couple of problems. It was missing a front wheel, the brake cable doesn't seem to be attached, the chain is more rust than not, and there are small rust spots all over the bolts and frame. The frame is a Concorso(?), it has flopped and chopped handlebars, a fender, and the chainring says Sugino 39 (not that that means anything to me).

I'm not sure why someone would go to the effort of converting a bike and then let it get trashed, but better for me I guess. I think I will start by taking it apart, sanding off the rust, repaint it to hopefully stop the rusting and then go from there.

Wish me luck and any tips would be appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment