Friday, April 13, 2007

MPLS Transit Plan

I found out about the new MPLS transit plan the night before the first public comment meeting and didn't have a chance to check it out until a day or 2 later.

Needless to say I am not thrilled at all on a couple of the plans. A lot of it does make sense but I think the biking situation must have been done by people who never bike downtown.

The worst of it being the plan for Hennepin Ave. Basically they want to make it a 2-way street and have bike lanes in the middle. This is such a bad dangerous idea that I cannot believe it is in the final plan. People already don't pay attention to bikes in the Henn ave bike lane, but this will be much worse. I just see people thinking it is a turn lane or not looking before turning and I am betting that car-bike accidents would increase dramatically due to it.

There are some good things like making a better connection from the Cedar Lake Trail to the river road but all in all I hope they reconsider the bike lane in the middle of two way traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment